Posts Tagged ‘Add new tag’

Does Your Kentucky Car, Truck, or Motorcycle Accident Attorney Know Insurance Law?

Monday, June 15th, 2009
Does Your Kentucky Accident Attorney Know Insurance Law?

Does Your Kentucky Accident Attorney Know Insurance Law?

You see many advertisements for car, truck, or motorcycle accident attorneys in Kentucky promising to, “get you the compensation you deserve.”  However, nothing is mentioned about the insurance companies or policies from where this money comes.  Lawyers and most sophisticated clients know that the money will come from the insurance company for the party at fault for the accident if he or she has one and from the injured party’s insurance company if he or she doesn’t.  But simply because an accident attorney knows where to get the money doesn’t mean they know how.

Many accident attorneys will settle your claim with the insurance company without knowing what your case is worth.  They may demand entirely too much or even worse, seek to settle your case for too little.  Some might not even be able to describe to their client’s why they think you should settle for a particular amount offered by the insurance company.  If the insurance company refuses to pay due to some policy exclusion or coverage defense, then that attorney may be unsure how to fight for you to make sure that the insurance company is being fair.

Make sure that your car, truck, or motorcycle accident attorney knows insurance law and understands insurance policies, their specific coverages, and exclusions to coverage.  Retain an experienced car, truck or motorcycle accident attorney with a proven record of handling injury claims and one with knowledge of insurance companies and their practices and procedures.  Don’t get less or worse nothing, because your Kentucky accident attorney doesn’t know insurance law.

Things You Should Know About “Full” Coverage

Tuesday, May 26th, 2009
Does Your Insurance Policy Really Provide Full Coverage?

Does Your Insurance Policy Really Provide Full Coverage?

When I ask my clients about the amounts and types of coverage they have, I am often told that they have “full” coverage.  While I suspect this might be true, you should know that “full” coverage may not mean what you think.  Here are some things you should know.

“Full” coverage  typically means that your car, truck, or auto has liability coverage and collision or comprehensive coverage.  What’s the difference?  Liability insurance protects you in the event you’re in an accident that is your fault.  If someone is injured or their property damaged, your liability coverage will provide protection and pay compensation to the injured person.  In Kentucky, it is mandatory that all motor vehicles carry at least $25,000 in liability coverage.

Collision coverage will pay to have your car fixed, if it is damaged in an accident with another car.   Comprehensive coverage will pay to have your car fixed, if it is damaged by something other than an accident, say a falling tree branch, theft, or vandalism.

None of these coverages protect you in the event you are injured by an uninsured driver or a driver who carries insufficient insurance.  Uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage are coverages that you purchase to protect yourself.  Be sure to tell your insurance agent that you wish for these coverages to be included on your policy.  Don’t accept claims that you’re “fully” covered.  Make sure to specifically ask for these types of coverages and make sure they are provided by your agent.  If your current policy does not offer these benefits it might be wise to call you agent and have them included.